Monday, November 23, 2015

A Well Loved Gift

 I think it's about time I posted about this quilt. 

This quilt was R's Christmas gift LAST YEAR.  I know....shameful. 







































R had gotten me a quilt book called "Transparency Quilts" the previous Christmas, and I always thought one of those quilts would make a good gift for Russ.  The quilts in that book are modern and not particularly feminine, which can be hard to find when looking for a gift for a man.
























R loves the outdoors, and camo print, so I wanted to make him a quilt that felt like the woods.  I used a mixture of green and dark brown, so that it would feel outdoorsy (is that a word?).  I love the way the colors play together to look like woven tartan.  Transparency Quilts does a great job of guiding you through process of choosing colors for these quilts.

I also had the long arm quilter do an all-over oak leaf pattern with acorns.  I really felt like that is what sets it off and gives it a natural feel.

R is so sweet.  He sleeps with this quilt every night, and I love that he loves it so much.  He wanted a big quilt that he could wrap up in completely, and this quilt fits the bill.  It is a VERY large queen, and could probably work alright on a king sized bed too.

























To photograph the quilt, I took it out to the Historic Barns Park in Traverse City.  These barns were originally used to house the livestock that fed the local mental hospital.  Recently the barns and gardens have been restored, and they are now open for events.  They are absolutely huge and beautiful.

It feels great to give a quilt to someone that truly appreciates it. 

Well, its time to bake cookies!  Thanksgiving is only a few days away!   Have a good one everybody!

Cristina
The Quilted Mitten

4 comments:

  1. This quilt is wonderful and warm. It truly is an amazing piece of work, that was quilted by someone with lots of love and respect for this art. Your craftsmanship is really shown in all the pieces. I'm honored to have been a recipient of a quilted mitten quilt. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt, love the colors and the oak leaves I spotted right away bring it to life. Very outdorrsy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say it's the perfect quilt for a guy! Happy Turkey Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job with the transparency effects! I like that book too.

    ReplyDelete