|Photo by M. Chris Leese SEE HERE|
Last December, my friend Justine convinced me to come up with a "Big 5 Goals" list for 2013. Things that I wanted to see myself accomplish, but things that were acheivable and realistic. I thought now would be a great chance for me to see how I did this last year, and also set my 5 goals for 2014.
Big 5 Goals 2013:
1: Run a 5K: Sucess! I ran TWO actually, which is a huge thing for me. Trust me. I HATE running. Still, I wanted to improve my health for the better, and take advantage of the beautiful landscape that my new home had to offer. I'm really glad that I took this step, and I am planning on training for a few races this summer. I never plan on being SUPER dedicated to running, but it makes me feel good to accomplish something that I have had a hard time with in the past.
2: Finish my Kaffe Fasset Postcard Quilt: Well...I worked on it. :) I made some serious progress, but this quilt has proven to be a terrible trial, and if I work on it in short spurts, then I maintain my love for it. I know I will finish it eventually; I'm not worried.
3: Get a new job and move!: Again, success!!! I was miserable in my old job, and unsatisfied with the situations I found myself in. This was the first goal I acheived this year, and I am SO GLAD.
4: Write and publish 3 quilt patterns: I finished one! I have designed a second one, and I've finished the sample, but I haven't gotten around to writing it yet. Again, I'm not that worried about it. I probably should be, but right now quilting is my hobby. When it becomes my job, then I will pay closer attention to deadlines.
5: Start or join a Quilt Guild: This one is a fail. I originally considered moving to Lansing, where I thought a "Modern Quilt Guild" would have a really good chance of making a go of it. Up here in Northern Michigan, I'm not so sure. Plus there is one in Traverse City already. I did look into some of the local guilds here, and attended their quilt show. I am hoping to join this next year.
Overall, I am pretty happy with my success this year. I didn't accomplish all of my goals, but I made progress on EVERY SINGLE ONE, and that counts for something.
Now I'd like to look at my Big 5 for 2014:
1. Learn to backpack. My boyfriend and I would like to go backpacking on Isle Royale (he has a degree in outdoor recreation) in the next few years, but I need to get some experience under my belt before I attempt something of that magnitude. Right now we are researching gear for me, and we will be doing some smaller local trips as soon as the weather permits.
2. Join a Quilt Guild: I'm adding this back to the list because it can and will happen. This year is the year, I can feel it.
3. Learn to brew beer: You read that right. I am a beer snob, and I don't care who knows it. I think it would be SO FUN to make my own.
4. Learn to FMQ on my home machine: I got a darning foot for my machine for Christmas, and I have 27 unfinished quilt tops sitting in my closet. Therefore I have no excuse for not learning anymore. It's time to put the pedal to the metal and get some stuff done!
5. Volunteer every season: This last year I got a chance to volunteer with the "Little Traverse Land Conservancy" and it was really rewarding. This year I would like to do more volunteering with them, and with some other local human services organizations. Also I am in a local leadership program, and we are building a dog park with local city officials.
Well...there you have it. I love this list because I can see that I have made progress, and I can see what progress I will continue to make. I can't wait!
I would love to hear if you have any big goals for this year! Lets keep each other accountable, shall we?
The Quilted Mitten