Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A Bit of Light Reading from 1974

I finally finished something!!!  Can you believe it!?

In my defense, the long arm quilter had this quilt for 3 months.  I'm really not completely lazy, haha!

Anyway, I have titled this quilt "A Bit of Light Reading from 1974" because I think the blocks look like stacks of books, and the fabric is 1974 by Urban Chiks. 

 
 
You might remember this top from a few years ago while I was still living in Kalamazoo.  I pieced these blocks improv because I couldn't figure out what else I'd like to do with such fun modern fabric.  I ended up wasting quite a lot of the background fabric, but I think the effect was worth it in the end.
 



I love the quilting pattern that my quilter used, but I was a little disappointed that she didn't "seat" the pantograph so that the quilting passes weren't noticeable.  This pattern should have fit together like a puzzle to look like one all over pattern, and she decided to quilt it in rows instead.  I have another quilt with her right now, so I'm hoping we don't have the same problem (eek!).  Either way, I am pleased overall with how it turned out.



I have been thinking about turning this quilt design into a pattern, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it without wasting so much background fabric.  Plus, I've seen other similar quilts.  What do you guys think? 


It has been a beautiful autumn here in Northern Michigan.  This is by far one of the best color years we've had in a decade.  With the color, we have experienced awesome apple harvests, crisp breezes, and cider with doughnuts.  I have been excited for a good stretch of sweater weather as well.  There has been some grumbling about snow falling this weekend, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will hold of for just a while longer.





I am hoping to have another quilt back from the quilter soon, and another quilt to show and share!

I hope everyone is having a great fall, and I hope you are all working on something fun and quilty!!!

Cristina
The Quilted Mitten

4 comments:

  1. What pretty colors together! The quilting looks great on it, hopefully it was worth the wait for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely quilt! I would be pretty upset with my longarmer if she didnt do an allover pattern as I had asked. I really hope your other quilt turns out as you like. Having said that, this one is a stunner! I love Fall and apple harvests and apple cider and donuts. Something that we just dont have here in alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Methinks it might be time to find a new longarmer! How frustrating that is. I do my own, and it's not all that difficult to make sure your pantograph pattern nests perfectly. I hope the next one turns out better for you!

    ReplyDelete